Monday, October 25, 2010

Podcasting

Podcasting is a technological tool people use to record information and others can listen to on their ipod or mp3 player. After reading about podcasts I decided to get on my iTunes and check out what is out there. Mostly what I found were radio shows and news discussions. Anyone can make a podcast though for free. Teachers can use them to have lectures with their students if they happen to miss class or something. Teachers can also use podcasts to record their lectures when the students were in class to help them study for tests and give them a chance to listen to it again.

Podcasting is similar to other Web 2.0 application in a way that it gives people the opportunity to recieve information without face to face time. However podcasting is different because there is no way for discussion afterwards.

I own an ipod but never use it since I got an iphone. My ipod was only a 1G and my phone gave me more memory and convient. I use the ipod part only for music and ringtones. I would like to incorporate a podcast into my physical education classroom but it would take time for me to get it right. Since there isn't much intelectual testing that needs much studying for, I would use it for some kind of work out for a certain amount of time where students can participate in a structured work out out of class. The advantages about this tool is it is on something convient for student that they already use. The disadvantage is there is no discussion part for students to ask questions about the lesson that day.

Jessica Miller

2 comments:

  1. Indeed, it is often interesting to find old radio shows via the podcast option on one's Iphone, Ipod, etc. In fact, my brother is a huge fanatic of these. On the other hand, I find the option of taking an Ipod virtually anywhere, and having the abiltiy to listen to any song at any time is beneficial. In fact, my Zumba(aerobic dancing) instructor went from using Cd's to using her Ipod when playing the music for my workout class. Nevertheless, technology is tending to become more accessible and more portable than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, it is an advantage that podcasting is offered on a tool that people already use. So, now its more easier because it is the same as having half of the work already done and something that is already at easy access. Sometimes it is required to buy the tool and then the software so it takes more time because you would have to become familiar with both objects.

    ReplyDelete